When we are fighting battles in our lives it is easy to blame others, but the Bible says:
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."
Eph. 6:12 (NIV)
It is important to understand what we are actually fighting against – to view our battles from a heavenly perspective and not a worldly one. Changing our perspective when trouble comes will empower us to pick up the right weapons for the type of battle we fight. We have to acknowledge the spiritual dimension, and realise we have access to the weapons in God’s great arsenal.
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
Eph. 6:10-17 (NIV)
When fighting the battles in your life, remember the 3 P’s:
- Praise (Recognising God’s goodness),
- Proclamation (declaring who you are in Christ), and
- Prayer (Communicating with God).
Take the authority of Jesus and bind in heaven what needs to be resolved here on earth. Always stand firm with the word of God and His promises in your life and know that you are not alone!
SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT
- Reflect on and share a battle you may have fought in the past where it was clear the enemy was not flesh and blood but against an unseen force.
- Think about how you can change the way you react to issues in your life by changing your perspective from a worldly one to a spiritual one.
- What is the next step for you to consistently arm yourself with the armour of God so that you can stand firm against the schemes of the enemy?
- Can you think of anyone in your life who is going through a spiritual battle and can use a word of encouragement from you today?