“Be strong and of good courage, for to this people you shall divide as
an inheritance the land which I swore to their fathers to give them.
Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:6–9 (NKJV)
This week, we are encouraged to be full of faith, like Stephen who was full of faith and filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 6:5).
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing that by the power of the Holy Spirit you will abound in hope and overflow with confidence in His promises.” Romans 15:13 (AMP)
Hope = Positive expectancy of something good. As our hearts are expectant with hope, we have faith to believe that God wants us to live lives of joy, purpose and peace. This in turn ignites us to be faith-filled and move forward in the confidence that God has us in the palm of His hand.
An example of someone moving forward in faith is in Matthew 8:10, which speaks of Jesus commending and marvelling at the faith of the centurion who says to Jesus, ‘Just say the word and my servant will be healed’. Another example is of the woman with the issue of blood for 12 years who, by faith touches the hem of Jesus’s garment and is healed (Matthew 9:20–22).
After Moses had led God’s people out of slavery, they stayed for 40 long years in the desert. In the book of Joshua we see that, his successor as leader, Joshua could’ve stayed and prayed for more years. But when Joshua heard from God, he acted in obedience and stepped out to take the promised land.
God wants us to act in faith so the promises He has made to us will be fulfilled
1. Be strong and very courageous.
2. Recall the words God has spoken to you.
3. Decide to live by God’s ways.
4. Meditate and speak the word over your own life.
5. Be strong and of good courage because God is with you WHEREVER you go.
6. Step out!
“If God is for us who can be against us?” Romans 8:31 (NKJV). The call to be courageous and act in faith is grounded in obedience to the Word you have heard from God.
SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT:
1. Reflect on/share past experiences when you have been strong and courageous or when you have struggled with having strength to confront an issue.
2. Share practical examples on how you have been encouraged to live by faith (examples could include God’s specific promises through His Word, a mentor, etc).
3. Consider what would be your next step, what could you act on by faith?
4. How could we reach out and assist those in our community who need courage to face their current situation (being the hands of Jesus Christ, who wants the best for them)?