"So, here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life - your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life - and place it before God as an offering."
Rom 12:1 (MSG)
God has an exciting purpose for our lives, as we surrender our ordinary everyday living to Him as an offering. Each day is not a monotonous repeat, looking to the weekend. See every day as an opportunity to show kindness, bring encouragement and help someone.
"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." Col 3:23-24 (ESV)
"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.... Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness but will have the light of life." John 8:12 (NIV)
Once our eyes are open to Christ, He transforms the way in which we see everyday life.
We are to hit refresh:
- On our perspective: During this season, God is shifting our focus off just church on Sundays, buildings etc (which are in themselves good) – to the core of His heart – people.
- On our pursuits: "Be devoted to one another in love. Honour one another above yourselves." Romans 12:10 (NIV)
- On our initiatives: To be led by the promptings of the Holy Spirit. “Don’t just sit on compassion, act on it!"
Life with Christ is anything but ordinary. Whatever we do, we are called to do it as if unto the Lord. Our everyday context becomes an everyday opportunity to live on mission for Christ.
With a renewed revelation, we can recapture the purpose and mission in each and every day, as we live to reflect God’s love, mercy and vision for people. Right living springs from a series of right decisions, but it starts with just one. For every decision you feel you need to make, God will enable you. Reach out, seek help, pray, apologise, whatever you need to do, God will be with you. Eph 5:15-17 (TPT)
Everyday living is only to be found under the influence of the Holy Spirit. The life God has for you is not beyond your reach because you have the power of the Holy Spirit within you. It’s the Holy Spirit that tends to love, peace, joy, patience, kindness – all the beautiful fruits that he brings into our life. Eph 5:18 (TPT)
Everyday living is a simple devotion to reveal God. There is no greater expression of love to God than for us to reveal God’s love to others. Be Christlike in your workplace, in your home, in your speech, in your decisions. You are called to be a light, to reflect God’s love, mercy and vision for people. Eph 5:19 (TPT)
SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT
- Reflect on and share ways that you can stop imitating the ideals and opinions of the culture of the world.
- Discuss some ways you could be more careful of how you live, to take full advantage of every day as you live for God’s purposes.
- What is your next step to be inwardly transformed or refreshed by the Holy Spirit?
- Think about those people in your everyday life with whom you could share the gospel, pray with and reach out to, in kindness.