'Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man
standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked. “Are you for us or for our enemies?" "Neither", he replied,
"but as commander of the army of the LORD I have now come.” Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence, and asked him,
“what message does my LORD have for his servant?” The commander of the LORD’s army replied, “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.” And Joshua did so.' Joshua 5:13-15 (NIV)
Just when we think we know God, He will present himself in an unfamiliar way. We are continually discovering who God is. We will see God through new and different manifestations as new challenges present themselves. God never changes but our understanding of him continues to grow as we mature and move forward.
In the process of having a revelation of God, there is:
Storms are a reality of life, but we are not to be held back by trials. Our greatest storms bring the deepest revelations. And our revelation of God takes us into a new day and a new season. Joshua was is in the middle of a strange and unfamiliar land and the walls of the city of Jericho seemed impenetrable. But God was ready to do a new work in Joshua’s life and take Joshua to a whole new level. When there are challenges, God gives us a revelation of who He is. And then, strategies to become overcomers and bring down the “walls of Jericho”.
When you hear them sound a long blast on the trumpets, have the whole army give a loud shout; then the wall of the city will collapse and the army will go up, everyone straight in.” Joshua 6:5 (NIV)
In Jericho, there was:
3. Strategies to new challenges
4. Speedier results
5. New eyes of worship and supernatural revelation
Do not be overwhelmed by challenges but be inspired and encouraged that God has our back and has great plans for each one of us.
SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT:
1. Reflect on/share past experiences when you feel you have had to encounter a “Jericho wall” situation or challenge.
2. Share any practical steps or examples on how you coped during these challenging times or who came to your assistance.
3. What is the next step you can take to draw closer to God and get a deeper revelation on who He is, in your life?
4. How could we as individuals or a team, reach out to someone or come alongside someone in our community, who is undergoing similar challenges?